[ Member Login ]

Mx Objects and Artifacts

The most recetly contributed objects and artifacts are shown below. Selecting a category from the list will display all objects and artifacts in that category. Selecting the Object Name will display a page of details and possibly include a link to additional information. If you find one we have missed (and there are many) drop an email to our webmaster with a picture and description.

Molyneux House Bed & Breakfast

Kaka Point, South Otago, New Zealand
Contributed by: US350 Karen Rhea White   |   05 Nov 2017

This is a current Molyneux item. It is the Molyneux House located at 2 Rimu St, Kaka Point 9271, New Zealand. Website is molyneuxhouse.co.nz.

"We offer you our luxury suite, designed for one couple, but can accommodate a third person/child. A special room for the more discerning traveller, with soft music and romantic lighting. We'll say no more. Relax and Enjoy !

Fur seals and sea lions are minutes away, as are the yellow-eyed penguins and the Nugget Point Lighthouse Reserve. All this natural beauty and wildlife - Free!!!

Molyneux House is situated:
20 km from Balclutha on the Kaka Point / Nugget Road.
1 hour from Dunedin on the Southern Scenic Route.
2 hours from Invercargill via the Southern Scenic Route.
3 hours from Queenstown and Te Anau.
6 hours from Christchurch.

(Photo below is from Google maps).


Molyneux skirt

Sears, Roebuck, and Co. catalog (Chicago, IL USA)
Contributed by: US350 Karen Rhea White   |   05 Nov 2017

This is from a Sears, Roebuck, and Co. catalogue, published in the Fall of 1943. It mentions the Molyneux skirt and has a drawing of it. (top right)


Capen & Molineux Pewter Oil Lamp

New York, USA
Contributed by: US101 Marie Mullenneix Spearman   |   05 Oct 2017

This whale oil lamp was made by CAPEN & MOLINEUX in New York City in the 1840's. George Molineux partnered with pewtersmith Ephraim Capen from 1848 to 1855. They made many different styles of oil and camphene lamps. Some surviving examples are even equipped with lard oil burners.

The lamp illustrated is one of the simplest but their product line included many upscale single and dual wick styles. This was a portable lamp that would have been used in many ways, including lighting the way to one’s bed chamber after dark. The single burner produces a soft, mellow light.

 

 


MISSING: William W. Mullinax's Cutlass

Cedar Creek Hundred, Delaware, USA
Contributed by: US457 David R. Mullinax   |   17 Sep 2017

All research credited to Marilyn Mullinix Blanck in her book, Deleware Mullinixes and their Descendants' Migrations 1698-1900 (IMFA Member Link to book). The story is covered in more depth on pages 16-17.

In the 1750s, the colonies of Maryland and Delaware had some border disputes. One such area was known as "Cedar Creek Hundred" and there dwelt William W Mullinax, his Coverdale in-laws and some neighbors.

Also known in the court documents as the "borderers" which could have had two different meanings as the word could allude to a classification of peoples in the old country who were frowned upon by the ruling class.

This is an old map of Deleware, back when it was divided into "hundreds." Some notes to the right explain the shaded area to the left.

A greater part of Northwest Fork, Nanticoke and the southern part of Broadkill, along with sections of Indian River, Baltimore, Dagsboro, Broad Creek and Little Creek were claimed by Lord Baltimore. Claims not settled until the running of the Mason-Dixon Line in 1767.

Using Google Maps, I overlaid the old map of Deleware over modern-day Deleware. The area I colored in green is Cedar Creek Hundred, near what is today the town of Milford.

These same "borderers" paid taxes to Delaware and had the appropriate deeds registered in Sussex County to back it up. So naturally one would think that the Maryland "line" would exist somewhere to the west of their plantations.

Unfortunately, the Maryland taxing authorities of the sixth Lord Baltimore of Worcester County thought otherwise. So in February of 1759, they had sent an "undersherrif" into the forest to collect unpaid taxes.

The tax collector's name was "William Outten" and was warned about the dangers of venturing into these woods.

Outten finds the home of William W. Mullinax, and places him under arrest. Outten had planned on transporting William W. to the court of Worcester County.

William W. breaks free, and in the scuffle Outten gains possession of William W's cutlass.

A few days later, at 8:00 on a cold winter morning Outten's posse shows up at another accused tax-delinquent house of John Willey.

Willey defends himself with a piece of floorboard. Words were exchanged and young men were dispatched to summon the neighbors. An angry mob of villagers show up, wielding clubs and sticks and then things got even uglier.

Willey was handed a firearm, and was encouraged to "shoot the son of a bitch!"

Outten swings William W's cutlass, cutting someone with it. Then Willey shoots Outten in the groin. Outten dies within six minutes. His body was carried back to Worcester County by his men.

This story is heavily documented in the Proceedings of the Council of Maryland, 1753-1761 (Maryland Archives), twenty-five pages of depositions and statements relating to this case.

William W. Mullinax was indicted on several accounts but not prosecuted. Willey was handed over to the Sheriff of Worcester County for trial.

A border settlement was made shortly after, one of many between Deleware and Maryland.

But what became of William W's cutlass?


Molyneux Realty

Worthington, Massachusetts, USA
Contributed by:   |   17 Sep 2017

Molyneux Realty, 4S Worthington Rd., Worthington, Massachusetts 01098. James A. Molyneux is a 5 starBest agent in Western Ma. Former Fee Appraiser, Licensed Construction Supervisor, Building Inspector and more.

 


Molyneux TT Mountain Course

Snaefell, Isle of Man
Contributed by: Graham Molyneux   |   04 Sep 2017

Snaefell Mountain Course, or Mountain Course, is a road-racing street circuit used for the Isle of Man TT since 1911 and Manx Grand Prix races from 1923 in the Isle of Man. The motorcycle racing is held on public roads closed for racing by an Act of Tynwald (the parliament of the Isle of Man) under the Road Racing Act (Isle of Man) 1982 and the Road Traffic Regulation Act (Isle of Man) 1985. It is the oldest motorcycle racing circuit still in use. It is also one of the deadliest, with 6 deaths in 2011, 5 in 2014 and 248 cumulatively by 2015, of racers in competition.

Dave Molyneux (born 21 November 1963 in Douglas, Isle of Man) is a Manx professional Sidecar racer. He is the most successful Sidecar competitor in the history of the Isle of Man TT races, achieving 17 TT victories and 30 podium finishes. His TT Victories place him third on the all-time wins list.

Moly, as he is often known, was the sidecar lap record holder for the Snaefell mountain course set in 2015 with a time of 19 minutes 23.056 seconds, an average race speed of 116.785 mph for 1 lap.

In 2013, a right-hand bend on the Snaefell Mountain Course used for TT and Manx Grand Prixraces at the end of Cronk-y-Voddy Straighton the main A3 road was named Molyneux's in recognition of his wins, together with John McGuinness who was similarly honoured.


Sir Francis Molineux; Robert Quarme

National Portrait Gallery, London
Contributed by: UK188 Antony Molyneux Steele   |   23 Aug 2017

Sir Francis Molineux; Robert Quarme
by James Sayers
etching, published 17 June 1782
7 in. x 4 3/8 in. (179 mm x 112 mm) plate size; 7 3/4 in. x 4 7/8 in. (197 mm x 125 mm) paper size
Purchased, 1905

Born the son of Sir William Molyneux, 6th Baronet and educated at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Wakefield, Francis Molyneux was appointed gentleman usher daily waiter to the Queen in 1761 (at the age of 23) and Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod in 1765 (four years later). He held the post until his death 47 years later. On his death, as he was unmarried, his baronetcy became extinct and his estates at Teversal and Wellow passed to Lord Henry Howard-Molyneux-Howard. There is a memorial to him at St Catherine's Church in Teversal in Nottinghamshire.

Note: 7th Baronet of Teversal & penultimate male heir to the Teversal line of Mxes! His title was succeeded by a relative, Darcy Mx., who d. childless, but his estates went to his nephew, Henry Howard who then assumed the name MOLYNEUX.--wjs

He died unmarried in 1812, when the family estates passed to his nephew, Lord Henry Thomas Howard, second son, by Juliana, sister to Sir Francis, of Henry Howard, of Sheffield, Derbyshire, and Heath Hall, Yorkshire, brother to Bernard Edward, twelfth Duke of Norfolk, K.G., and who thereupon assumed the name of Molyneux.

Last of the Teversal Mx line. Upon his death the manor was passed on to his nephew, Lord Henry Thomas Howard, whose eldest dau. Henrietta Anne, m. Lord Porchester, 1830 & in 1837 became 3rd Earl of Caernarvon, thus bringing the Teversal Estate into the hands of that family. It continued in that family until 1929 when Eliz. Cath. Dowager Countess of Caernarvon & stepmother of the Earl of Caernarvon d.

Darcy Mx, son of William Mx and grandson of Darcy Mx & Eliz. Bassett, assumed the title of BNaronet upon the death in 1812 of Sir Francis Molyneux, Bart., of Wellow, Co. Notts. & d. w/o issue.

He was the last of his family to be buried in the vault.


Molineux Rifles Trading Card

Brooklyn, N.Y. Militia
Contributed by: US332 Wayne Straight   |   22 Aug 2017

Illust'd Sweet Caporal cigarette trade cards, 1886 US military uniforms. Published by the Kinney Tobacco Company, NY. Sweet Caporal was a brand of cigarettes popular in the US around the turn of the century, one of whose distinguishing features was the inclusion in each pack of collectible "cigarette cards." Kinney claimed this to be the most complete and correct set, urging regiments to send colored sketches of their uniforms so they might be added to the collection as quickly as possible.

The "Molineux Rifles" may refer to General Edward L. Molineux, Molineux Rifles, Company D, Thirty-second Regiment, New York.


Butler's Molineux Ale

Springfield Brewery, Wolverhampton
Contributed by: Wayne Straight US332   |   22 Aug 2017

Butler’s Molineux Ale, named for the Molineux’ of Wolverhampton.

The brewery first opened in 1873 when the William Butler and Company needed bigger premises than their existing site in Priestfield. Springfield had an abundance of water and the land had remained fairly undeveloped as the ground was quite marshy in places. The company acquired the seven acre site, partly bordering Grimstone Street and built a new brewery with maltings, cooperage and stables. Production started at Springfield during the following year. With the new brewery located close to the canal and railway lines, the company could begin to trade outside of the local area. The good communications also made the acquisition of public houses in other areas a viable proposition. This opportunity was improved when the Great Western Railway extended a siding into the site which was continually expanding to cope with the success of the company. Between 1881-3 a new brewing tower was constructed, enabling William Butler and Company to increase production from 400 to 1,500 barrels a week. In 1960 Mitchell's and Butler's acquired the company and the Cape Hill brewery kept the Springfield Brewery open. Brewing stopped around 1990 and the site was used simply as distribution centre. In 2006 a fire destroyed much of the site.

The site on Grimstone Street, which closed in the early 1990s as a brewery for Mitchells & Butlers, is undergoing a £60 million redevelopment and will be home to the university's school of architecture and the West Midlands Construction University Technical College from autumn 2016.

But university chiefs say they are keen to maintain the traditional aspects of the site, and are planning talks for a micro-brewery to move in once building work is complete.


Molyneux Fashions

unknown
Contributed by: Tracy Molyneux   |   22 Aug 2017

The 1930 adaptation of the Grecian line is simply and clearly illustrated in this blue-white satin wedding gown, which is complemented in its simplicity and smartness by an unadorned veil of white tulle and a modern bouquet of ivory-white lilies.