[ Member Login ]

Mx Gazetteer for Ireland

All contributed landmark postings are shown below. Selecting a country from the list will display all landmarks for that country. Selecting the Landmark Name will display a full page of information including an interactive map and possibly additional information. If you find one we have missed (and there are many) drop an email to our webmaster with a picture and description.

Molyneux Home

Leeson Park, Dublin 6, Ireland
Contributed by: US332 Wayne Straight   |   14 Dec 2014

The new location for Molineux House and Molyneux Institute for Blind Females.

The Molyneux Asylum for Blind Females was opened in 1815 in Peter Street, Dublin, in what was formerly the residence of Thomas Molyneux (1641-1733), whose sister-in-law, Lucy Domville, had been blind. There was an Anglican church attached to the asylum.

A new home for the asylum, along with a church, was constructed 1860-1862 at Leeson Park. The architect, selected after a competition, was James Rawsom Carroll.

One of the first chaplains to the asylum was Rev. Piers Edmund Butler. Later came Rev. Charles Marley Fleury. Chaplain in the mid-19th century was Rev. James Metge, of Carlow. John Duncan Craig was chaplain from 1873 to 1884. Albert Hughes was chaplain in the 1920s and 1930s.


 

Molyneux House

67-69 Bride St, Dublin 8, Ireland
Contributed by: US332 Wayne Straight   |   14 Dec 2014

Some information on the Molyneux Chapel in Bride Street - building in Bride Street was said to be originally stables belonging to Molyneux House, the mansion on Peter Street corner built by Molyneux in 1711. It was later taken over by Philip Astley, who was the owner of Circuses in London and Paris as a circus / music hall - many famous entertainers of the time were said to have played there. Later the house became the Molyneux Institute for Blind Females before they moved to new premises in Leeson Street, think they stayed there until the 1890s (see picture below right) The mansion was taken over by the Sally army as a night shelter until Jacobs bought it in 1941 and demolished it to build their garages. The building in Bride street, now known as Molyneux House, was the chapel of the Institute when they were in Peter Street and continued in use as a chapel of the Church of Ireland after they left. Andrew Seeds, was the sexton of the chapel and lived in 68 Bride Street with his family,until his death in 1913, this house was owned by the chapel authorities, it eventually closed its doors in the mid 1920s.

Molyneux House is a conversion of Molyneux Church, and completed in 1973, it was home to Stephenson Gibney & Associates. The practice’s work in Dublin is notable for many reasons, some for design (the Institute for Advanced Studies, or the Irish Management Institute in Sandyford), some for planning controversy (ESB Headquarters on Lower Fitzwilliam Street), and others for both (Central Bank). Molyneux House presents a distinctive but understated face to Bride Street, like a cluster of vertical brick-clad elements holding flush, reflective glazing. There’s a sculpted depth to it, with tall shadows between elements, the chamfered (bevelled) edges, and the overhang high above the sign.

Molineux House also discussed in Mx World, Volume 9, Number 4, May 1995.


 

Molyneux Yard

Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland
Contributed by: US332 Wayne Straight   |   14 Dec 2014

This is apparently Molyneux Yard, where Samuel Molyneux experimented with his munitions.

A point of interest; The round stones up the lane, and which we used to see all over the city at one time....are called Jostle Stones....put there in days of yore to stop horse cart wheels jostling the corners and brickwork of the buildings. Maybe they were also to stop the axle hubs from gouging grooves in the walls.....”