[ Member Login ]

Mx Gazetteer for Caribbean

All contributed landmark postings are shown below. Selecting a country from the list will display all landmarks for that country. Selecting the Landmark Name will display a full page of information including an interactive map and possibly additional information. If you find one we have missed (and there are many) drop an email to our webmaster with a picture and description.

Molineux Estate

Christ Church Nichola Town, Saint Kits and Nevis, Caribbean
Contributed by: AU019 Brian Seddon   |   14 Apr 2015

Molineux Estate is a sugar plantation in Saint Kitts and Nevis which are a pair of tropical islands in the Eastern Caribbean. St-Kitts and Nevis have changed hands many times between the English and French, which has left it a heritage of names from both countries. The parish of Christ Church Nichola Town is situated on the east coast of St Kitts. Its capital is Nichola Town, in the northeast section of the island. The largest town in the parish is Molineux, which was named after the French sugar plantation, Molineux Estate. The estate was large, but the workers were not permitted to use the broad land for housing. Instead, lands unsuitable for planting sugar, such as hillsides and near ghauts, were allotted for housing. Unfortunately, the ghauts proved to be dangerous locations. During a hurricane in the 1940s, several houses were swept away. Negotiations with the estate manager led to better residential locations.

Present-day Molineux is divided into three parts—Stonehaven, Upper and Lower Projects—with dirt, pitch and concrete roads laid out in a grid pattern. Many buildings are made of wood, concrete, or both. Most business establishments are two storeys high. Bungalows mainly comprise the houses in the area.

Good background information on the Molineux family connections in St Kitts appeared in the May 2007 issue of MxWorld ‘The Molyneux’s of the West Indies’ by AU047 Margaret Hemming, with additional information supplied in the August 2007 issue by UK010 Russell Molyneux-Johnson. Margaret and Russell’s research shows a very early Mx presence in the Caribbean:

A branch of the Molineuxes was seated at an early date in the West Indies; Anthony, youngest son of Sir Richard Molyneux, Knt., of Sefton, by his wife Eleanora, daughter of Robert Maghull, having died in Dominica in 1586. A John Mulleneux sailed from London for St. Christopher in 1635, and one of the family, who died in 1761, was Speaker of the Assembly, Montserrat. Crisp Molineux, son of Molineux, of St. Kitts, by his wife, a daughter of Crisp, inherited the family estates in that island. He subsequently came to England, where he purchased Garboldisham Manor, Norfolk, and in 1740 married Katie, sole daughter and heiress of George Montgomerie, of Chippenham Hall, Cambridgeshire, and Thundersley Hall, Essex, High Sheriff for Cambridgeshire in 1759, and M.P. for Ipswich. He was chief of the clan Montgomerie, and heir male of Hugh, first Earl of Eglinton. Crisp Molineux filled the office of High Sheriif for Norfolk in 1767, and represented for several years the borough of King’s Lynn in Parliament. He died in 1793 at St. Kitts.

Further details can be gleaned on this Molineux family connections from ‘Caribbeana being miscellaneous papers relating to the history, genealogy, topography, and antiquities of the British West Indies’

Information about Rev. Richard Molineux and Crisp Molineux can be found at CanveyIsland.org.


 

Molyneux

Saint Georges, Montserrat, Caribbean
Contributed by: AU019 Brian Seddon   |   14 Apr 2015

Molyneux, now an abandoned settlement, is in the Saint Georges region of Montserrat, an island in the Caribbean, specifically in the Leeward Islands. Montserrat measures approximately 16 km (10 mi) long and 11 km (7 mi) wide, with approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) of coastline. Montserrat is nicknamed The Emerald Isle of the Caribbean both for its resemblance to coastal Ireland and for the Irish ancestry of some of its inhabitants.

The last decade of the twentieth century brought two events that devastated the island. In September 1989, Hurricane Hugo, a Category 4 storm, struck Montserrat with full force. It damaged more than 90 percent of the structures on the island and the tourist economy was virtually wiped out. Within a few years, the island had recovered considerably, only to be damaged again, and even more severely, six years later by volcanic activity that started in 1995. The settlement of Molyneux was abandoned in 1997 after being badly affected by pyroclastic flows from the volcano.


 

Molyneux Plantation

Saint James, Barbados, Caribbean
Contributed by: AU019 Brian Seddon   |   14 Apr 2015

Molyneux Plantation is located in the parish of Saint James in the western central part of the country of Barbados. Increasingly St. James is becoming known as the playground of the rich and famous, and a haven for sun-starved tourists. The parish also has great historic significance, as it was here that the first British settlers landed in 1625. Under the authority of King James, the British claimed Barbados upon landing in St. James' present-day city of Holetown (formerly Jamestown, named after the King himself); this settlement turned Barbados into what would later be known as "Little England". Records for the property go back to the 1790s. There was a windmill on the 250 acre property, used for extracting juice from sugar cane. The old plantation house and a mill wall, relics from the past, can still be seen on the property. The plantation is being developed with new properties used for housing and businesses.