VOLUME XXXV       FEBRUARY 2021       ISSN 1530-4132

VOLUME XXXV       FEBRUARY 2021

In This Issue:

MEMOIR OF THE MOLINEUX FAMILY

BY
GISBORNE MOLINEUX, F.R.C.I.
coatoarm.jpg (13245 bytes)

For Private Circulation only
1882.

 

CHAPTER II
THE HAUGHTON OR TEVERSAL BRANCH
OF THE HOUSE OF SEFTON, WITH THAT OF THORPE

Temp. Henry V. to George III.

“At sessions ther was he lod and sire;
Full oftentime he was knight of the shire.
An anelace, and a gypsciere, all of silk,
Hung at his girdle, white as morwe milk.
A shereve had he been, and a countour,
Was nowher swiche a worthy vavasour.”
Prologue to Canterbury Tales

“Now let us talk about the ancient days,
And things which happened long before our birth.”
Jean Ingelow

THE branch of Molineux of Haughton and Teversal, Co. Notts, from which the Molineux families in Staffordshire and Sussex are descended, came from Sir Thomas Molineux, Knight Banneret, of Haughton, Co. Notts, second son, by his wife Joane, daughter and heiress of Sir Gilbert Haydock, Knt., of Sir Richard Molyneux, of Sefton, Knight Banneret (13th in descent from William de Moulins), who signalised himself in the wars with France under King Henry V. and was one of the heroes of Agincourt.

Sir Thomas Molineux was Attorney-General and one of the Privy Council of Edward IV. He was among the “good lordes, knights, and esquiers” who attended the obsequies of that monarch at Windsor in April, 1483. On the 17th of that month, relates an eye-witness quoted in Holinshed, the corpse of the King was conveyed into the Abbey at Westminster, borne by divers knights and esquires, namely, Sir Gilbert Stanley, Sir John Savage, Sir Thomas Wortley, Sir Thomas Molyneux, Sir John Welles, John Cheny, and others; having upon the corpse a rich and large black cloth of gold, with a cross of white cloth of gold; and above that a rich canopy of cloth imperial, fringed with gold and blue silk, borne by Sir Thomas Seyntley, Sir William Parr, Controller, Sir John Asteley, and Sir William Stonor, Knights; and at every corner a banner; and the Lord Howard bore the King's banner next before the corpse; the officers of arms standing about them. The body was then placed in a “worthy herse,” preceded by a great procession. The Lord Howard, the King's Bannerer, riding next before the fore-horse, bearing the King's banner upon a courser trapped with black cloth, with divers escutcheons of the King's arms, with his mourning hood upon his head. In above order they proceeded to Syon that night, where, at the church door, the Bishop “censed the corps,” which was then borne into the choir; and in the morning in like manner to Windsor, where at Eton the Bishop of Lincoln, the Bishop of Ely, and the College met and “censed the corps,” and so proceeded to the Castle gate, and thence to the new church. In the evening, they of the College said the whole Psalter; and there was a great watch at night, by great lords, knights, esquires of the body, and others; among them being the Lord Burgoyne, the Lord Audley, the Lord Morley, the Lord Lisle, the Lord Howard, the Lord Wells, the Lord Delawar, the Lord Fitzhugh, the Lord Cobham, Sir John of Arundell, Sir Thomas Bonser, of Berneys, Sir Thomas St. Leger, Sir Gilbert Debenham, Sir Henry Ferrers, Sir John Savage, Sir Gilbert Stanley, Sir Thomas Wortley, Sir Thomas Molyneux, Sir William Parker, and Sir William Stonor.

Sir Thomas was created a Knight Banneret by Richard, Duke of Gloucester, at Berwick, for his services in the expedition to Scotland in 1482. He built the church and the ancient hall at Hawton, and was buried, 6 Henry VII., in the chancel of the church, under an altar tomb, surmounted by his effigy in armour, with the following inscription:—

“Hic jacet Thomas Molineux, Banneretus factus in recuperatione Ville Berwick in munibus scotorum, An. Dom. 1482, per manus Ricardi Ducis Gloucesterie, postea Regis Anglie.”

The church, in which several of the Molineux family are interred, is a remarkably fine specimen of the decorated style of ecclesiastical architecture prevailing at that period. In the windows were formerly to be seen the Molineux coat, impaled with those of Markham, Cotton, Bingham, Bussy, Cranmer, &c. Two shields with the cross moline are yet to be seen over the old west door of the church. The effigy upon the tomb of Sir Thomas, much mutilated, with two shields of the Molineux arms, still remain, but the inscription has long since disappeared1.

The following inscriptions are mentioned in Thoroton's History of Notts, as formerly existing in the church:—

In the Brass of a Stone on which are the Molyneux Arms, with a Crescent—

“Of your charitie pray for the soules of William Molyneux, and Margaret, his wife, and their children's soules, and all christian soules, which William departed this present life the last day of October, 1541.”

In the Chancel on a piece of brass, upon a little plain stone—

“Of your charity pray for the soules of Robert Molineux, Esquire, and Dorothy, his wife, which Robert deceased 13 April, 1539.”

Sir Thomas Molineux was twice married; his first wife being Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Thomas Markam, of Cotham, Co. Notts, Knight, by whom he had an only son, Robert, and a daughter, Elizabeth. He married secondly, Katherine, daughter of John Cotton, of Ridware,2 Co. Stafford, and widow of Thomas Powtrell, of West Hallam, Derbyshire, by whom he had two sons, Edmund and Anthony, and two daughters, Ellen, who married first, John Bond, of Coventry, and secondly, Laurence Ireland, of Lidiat; and Margaret, wife of Sir Hugh Willoughby, Knt., of Risley, Derbyshire.

Robert Molineux espoused Dorothy, daughter of Thomas Powtrell, of West Hallam, Derbyshire, and had issue five sons, Thomas, Richard, William, Robert and Edmund; and four daughters, Anne, Elizabeth, Catherine, and Mary.

Elizabeth, only daughter of Sir Thomas Molineux by his first wife, was married first to John Bacard, and second to Stephen Hadfield, whose great-granddaughters, Elizabeth and Barbara, married respectively Thomas Whalley, of Kirketon, and William Whalley.3

Radcliffe Molineux,4 a nephew of Sir Thomas Molineux, was vicar of Chishall Parva, Essex, in 1521; and William, another nephew, was rector of Packlesham, in the same county, in 1515.

Robert, younger brother to Sir Thomas Molineux, married Agnes, widow of Robert Sheryngton, who it appears from the inscription to her memory in the church of St. Michael's, Paternoster, London, had as her third husband William Cheney. “Prey of your cherete for the soul of Agnes Cheney, wydow, late wyff vnto William Cheney, somtym Esquyr for the body vnto King Harry the seventh. Whych Agnes dyed the fyfteenth day of July, in the yere of our Lord God on thousand four hundryd-eyghty and seven. And for the souls of William Cheney, Robert Molyneux, and Robert Sheryngton, her husbands, and all Christen souls.”5

Adam Molineux, LL.D., uncle to Sir Thomas Molineux, elected Dean of Salisbury, 24th October, 1441, having been previously Archdeacon, was consecrated Bishop of Chichester6 in 1445; and filled also the offices of Keeper of the Privy Seal to Henry VI., and Clerk to the Privy Council. In 1449 he received permission to retire from all secular employment, and to travel for the benefit of his soul, taking with him the sum of 500 marks for his maintenance. On the 9th January, 1450, when at Portsmouth preparing to sail for France, he was murdered by a party of sailors, at the instigation, it is alleged, of Richard, Duke of York.

Adam Molineux, or as he is styled in the Acts of the Privy Council, Dr. Moleyns, was a man held in high repute and estimation, and was employed on several occasionsin the conduct of various important State affairs. In 1440 he was directed, conjointly with John, Lord Tiptoft and four other persons, to conclude a treaty with the envoysof the Archbishop of Cologne, who, it appears from their instructions, wished to become the “King's homager and feoded man,” and to perform the services stipulated at a former period. In July, 1443, Dr. Moleyns was empowered, with the Bishop of St. David's, to treat with the Commissioners from Holland and Zealand respecting some infringements of the truce, and on the commercial relations of those countries with England; and in 1444 he with the Earl of Suffolk were appointed two of the King's Ambassadors to conclude a truce with France. They were subsequently appointed Commissioners to borrow money for the King's marriage with Margaret of Anjou. In the will of Henry VI. The Bishop is named as one of the King's feoffees.7

That the Bishop was a favorite with the King is evident from the unusual privileges granted to him:—The exemption of all coast land belonging to the see from the jurisdiction of the Court of Admiralty; and the licence to impark 10,000 acres of land in his diocese, and to case with stone and fortify twelve out of his fifteen manor-houses.

A writ of Privy Seal issued 20 Henry VI. authorises the payment of £20 paid “by the hands of Master Adam Moleyns,” to divers doctors, notaries, and clerks, lately by the King's command laboriously employed respecting “a superstitious sect of necromancers, and persons charged with witchcraft and incantations,” and which sum the King commanded to be distributed amongst them by way of reward.8

Upon the death of Adam Molineux his brother Robert was found to be his heir. Robert Molineux married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Baldwin L'Estrange, Knt.,9 by his wife Margaret, daughter of Edmund Lodelowe. His daughter Elizabeth became the wife of Sir William Troutbeck, Knt., whose daughter and heir, Ellen, was married to Gilbert Talbot, of Grafton,10 Northamptonshire, ancestor of the Earls of Waterford, now extinct.

Edmund,11 eldest son of Sir Thomas Molineux, by his second wife, Katherine, daughter of John Cotton, was created a Knight of the Bath, on being appointed Judge of the Common Pleas, 22nd October, 1550, 4 Edward VI. He was a member of “His Majesty's Council in the Northern Parts,” an institution arising out of the demands of the Pilgrims of Grace for the purpose of facilitating the administration of justice, and saving suitors in the north the inconvenience and cost of repairing to the metropolis. The Earl of Shrewsbury was appointed Lord President, with an allowance of £1,000 a year for the entertainment of himself and his Council, which body was composed of twenty-two members besides the President, including Henry, Earl of Westmorland, Henry, Earl of Cumberland, Cuthbert, Bishop of Durham, Lord William Dacres of the north, John, Lord of Conyers, Thomas, Lord Wharton, John Hind, Knt., one of his Majesty's Justices of the Common Pleas, and Edmund Molineux, Knt., Sergeant-at-law. Sir Edmund received his legal instruction at Gray's Inn, to which society he was twice reader; was made King's Sergeant in 1543,12 and died at Thorpe, Co. Notts, in 1532, and was buried in the church of Hawton. By his wife, Jane, youngest daughter of John Cheney,13 of Cheshamboys, Bucks, Sheriff of Bucks and Beds, 1505 and 1520, he left five sons—John, his heir, Edmund, Thomas (who married his cousin Jane, daughter of Sir Richard Molyneux of Sefton, by whom he had a son, Edward),14 Anthony, Rector of Walton, 1557, and Christopher15 (who married Emotta, sister and coheir to John Darbyshire)—and four daughters—Margaret (wife of Robert Fletcher, of Stoke Bardolph), Katherine (who died unmarried), Dorothy (wife of Robert Purslow), and Jane (wife of George Lascelles).

Frances, daughter of Robert Fletcher, married Francis, son of Francis Molineux, of Haughton, and had issue Francis Molineux, of Stoke Bardolph, Robert, John, and Mary.

The character of Sir Edmund Molineux is depicted by Gregory King, Lancaster Herald, as “that of a man of very mild spirit, modest and courteous behaviour, affable, fine, neat, cleanly, gracious, an acceptable to all sorts of men, well beloved, and not meanly regarded and esteemed where he carried authority, and had place of Government; who, for his integrity, honest plainness, and sincerity, coupled with an ancestor kind of godly life and sanctimony, was a man, for all these respects, greatly to be admired, honoured, and reverenced.”

Sir Edmund Molineux was Lord of the Manor of Thorpe, to which he added lands formerly belonging to the Knights Hospitallers of Jerusalem, of the preceptory of Eagle, in the county of Lincoln, besides other lands in the counties of Bucks and York, He was succeeded by his eldest son John, of Thorpe, Knight of the Shire in 1562, who married Anne, daughter of John Lascelles, of Gasford, Notts, by whom he had five sons—Edmund, of Thorpe; Thomas (who by his wife Katherine had twin daughters, Anna and Isabella); Rutland, of Woodcotes (who married first, Mary, daughter and heir of Cuthbert Bevercotes, of Bevercotes, Notts, and secondly, Frances, daughter to Richard Timperley, of Hintlesham, Norfolk, by whom he had five sons, Rutland, of Little Markham, Nicholas, Edmund, Marke, and Francis, and two daughters, Margaret, wife of Edward Henshaw, of Fledborough, Co. Notts, and Anne); Gervase (who married Anne, daughter of Sir William Moting); and John, of Farnton, near Newark; besides four daughters—Elizabeth (wife of Sir Thomas Cornwallis, of Horsley, groom porter to Queen Elizabeth and James I.), Christian, Fayth, and Margaret (married first to Leonard Lovelace, of Hever, Kent, and secondly to Thomas Clarke, of Hyde Abbey, near Winchester.

Rutland Molineux, of Little Markham, married Jane, daughter of John Rayner, of Great Drayton, Notts, and had one daughter, Mary. His brother, Marke, married Anne, daughter of —— Meires,16 of Lownd Hall, Nottinghamshire.

Thoroton states that Queen Elizabeth granted to John Molineux, Esquire, of Thorpe, the lordships or manors of Carleton, Kingston, and Carleton Baron, with other lands which were late the possessions of Thomas, Lord Dacre. The grant was probably made in recognition of his military services, and as a zealous and active justice of the peace.

The Earl of Shrewsbury, in a letter to the Privy Council dated Chatsworth, 27th May, 1750, states that he has sent the book of certificates for the county of Nottingham, of the sums raised and expended for provision of armour, &c., as they elucidate the charges against Mr. Molyneux, Mr. Lassells, and other captains who served against the rebels in the North.

In 1574, a William Wharton, of Ripon, Co. York, presented a petition to the Privy Council, praying that a book of prophecies, delivered by the petitioner to John Molineux, justice of the peace in the North Riding of Yorkshire, may be sent for; it having been delivered to Mr. Molineux, that the person from whom it was received might be examined, and the author punished. In the book, her Majesty's person and estate were “dishonorably touched and reprehended,” and a ”discourse made of the acts of the nobility of the realm, and of persons beyond the seas.”

In February of the same year, Henry, Earl of Huntingdon, wrote from Hampton Court to John Molineux and Avery Uvedale, stating that her Majesty understands that there are divers fugitive traitors lurking in corners, and maintained by their secret friends, ”to the peril of peace by their naughty devices;” and that he requires them on her Majesty's behalf, with all dexterity to seek to bring the said rebels and their coadjutors to light. That it is suspected that divers letters and messages are conveyed through the West Marches to the Queen of Scots by persons repairing into Yorkshire under colour to buy horses,—adding in conclusion, ”Let diligent regard be had for their apprehension.”

Rutland Molyneux was it seems a recusant, and a grant of lease of two parts of his manors and lands was made, 4th June, 1622, to Dan. Wood and Rich. Andrews, in trust for payment of his debts, and maintenance of his wife and children, a rent of £20 being reserved to the King.17

The estate of Bevercotes, with other lands, were sold by Rutland Molineux to the Earl of Clare.

John Molineux, of Farnton, married Ruth, daughter of —— Delwood, of Ossington, Co. Leicester, and had issue two sons, Paul and John; and four daughters, Fayth (married to Edward Jermin, of Branton, Huntingdonshire), Mary, Anne, and Elizabeth.

Edmund, eldest son of John Molyneux, of Thorpe, had as his first wife, Etheldred, daughter of John Herle, by whom he had an only son, John, and a daughter, Anne. He married secondly, Bridget, daughter and heir of Robert Sapcote,18 of Elton, Co. Huntingdon, by whom, who died in 1612, he had four sons, Sapcote,19 Edmund, William, and Richard, with two daughters, Dorothy and Bridgett. His son and heir, John, was knighted in 1614, married Lucy, daughter and heir of —— Read, of Northamptonshire, by whom he had six children, Vivian being his heir. The manor of Thorpe was sold by Sir John to John Halsey and others.

From an order issued 26th October, 1616, by Abbot, Archbishop of Canterbury, requiring Sir John Molyneux to give security to allow his wife Lucy £120 per annum for maintenance, it would seem that their married life was the reverse of felicitous. Lady Molyneux, two years later, in 1618, petitioned the King for relief of herself and six children, representing that “her husband deals hardly with her, and has sold his estate, worth £30,000, much under its value.” Sir Thomas Coventry, Solicitor-General, and Sir Anthony Ben, Recorder of London, to whom the matter was referred, reported, however, to the Privy Council, that Lady Molyneux ”was unable to disprove most of the allegations” of Mr. Holt and Mr. Halsey that they were losers by their transactions with Sir John Molyneux. On the 17th June, 1628, Lady Molyneux, then a widow, presented a petition to the House of Lords ”that Sir Francis Clarke may be ordered to pay the arrears of the annuity due to her out of the lands belonging to her late husband.” Sir Francis Clarke in his answer characterized the petition as scandalous, and denied the charge of defrauding Lady Molyneux of her annuity, many persons having a prior right to the profit from the manor of Thorpe.

Sir John leased the manors granted by Queen Elizabeth to his grandfather to a Mr. Halsey for a term of eighty years. The inheritance was after sold by Vivian Molineux, his son and heir, to Gervas Clifton, Knight and Baronet.

Anthony Molineux, D.D., younger brother to Sir Edmund Molineux, Knt., of Thorpe, was Rector of Sefton and Walton, Co. Lancaster; he likewise held the living of Tring, Herts. The church at Sefton, dedicated to St. Helen, and school-houses adjoining, were rebuilt by him, whether wholly or in part is uncertain, in the reign of Henry VIII., and Dodsworth states that he built the great wall around Magdalen College, Oxford. He died 5 Queen Mary. Contemporary writers describe him as ”a man of great integrity, and liberal to the poor,” as well as ”a famous preacher.” By his will, dated 1553, he appoints as his executors Sir Richard Molyneux, Knt., and his brother-in-law, Lawrence Ireland, and bequeaths his property to his brothers and sisters. To his godson, Anthony Molineux, he leaves a gilt spoon.

Thomas,20 eldest son of Robert Molineux, of Haughton, died without issue.

Richard Molineux, of Haughton, the second son, married Margaret, daughter of Edmund Bussy, of Hather, Co. Lancaster, and had issue and only son, Francis, and a daughter, Mary, wife of Daniel Disney, of Norton Disney.

Francis Molineux, of Haughton and Teversal, Notts, and of Hallam, Derbyshire, filled the office of High Sheriff of Derbyshire anno 6 Elizabeth, and of Nottinghamshire anno 24 Elizabeth. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of Thomas, eldest son of Roger Greenhalgh, of Teversal, Co. Notts, by which marriage he had a family of five sons, Thomas, Gervase (Recorder of Newark, 2 James I.), John, Robert, and Richard; and two daughters, Frances and Jane.

Roger Greenhalgh, by his will dated in December, 1502, gave all his plate and other valuables to his cousins, Francis Molineux and Ann Neville. Teversal, with Woodhouse, Stanley, Dunshil, Newbald, and several other lordships and manors in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, he gave to the said Francis Molineux and his heirs.21

Thomas,22 the eldest son and heir of Francis Molineux, died in 1597, leaving by his wife, Alice, daughter and co-heir of Thomas Cranmer, of Aslacton, Co. Notts, great-nephew of Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury, two sons, John and Thomas, and a daughter, who became the wife of Sir Anthony Thorold.

Catherine, daughter of Richard, youngest son of Francis Molineux, was married to John, son of Richard Stanhope.

John, the eldest son of Thomas Molineux, was knighted by King James I., at Whitehall, 10th November, 1608, and created a Baronet 29th June, 1611, in which year his kinsman, Sir Richard Molyneux, of Sefton,23 was likewise advanced to that dignity. Sir John served the office of High Sheriff for Notinghamshire the same year. He was twice married, his first wife being Isabell, daughter of John Markham,of Sedgebrook, Co. Lincoln, by whom he had two sons, Francis and Thomas, and three daughters, Mary, married to Michael Fawkes, of Woodhall, South Duffield, and Farnley Hall, Co. York, Anne, and Elizabeth. Sir John married secondly, on the 11th August, 1613, at St. Giles, Cripplegate, London,24 Anne, daughter of Sir James Harynton, of Ridlington, Co. Rutland, and widow of Sir Thomas Foljambe, Knt.,25 by whom, besides a daughter, Frances, he had one son, Roger Molineux,26 of Hasland Hall, Chesterfield,27 a colonel in the army, who married Jane, daughter of Sir Robert Monson, of Carleton, Lincolnshire, M.P. for the county.

By her will, dated July, 1644, Dame Anne Molineux, of Chesterfield, Co. Derby, widow of Sir John Molineux, after desiring to be buried in St. Bride's Church, London, bequeaths her manors in the counties of Derby and York to her daughter, Frances, and her son, Roger, ”if he shall be reduced to the obedience of the King and Parliament.”

In 1643, during the Civil War between King Charles I. and the Parliament , a party of Newarkers, headed by Colonel Molyneux, seized a Committee of Parliamentarians at Wirksworth, in Derbyshire.28 At the commencement of the war Winfield Manor House was garrisoned for the Parliament, and taken by the Earl of Newcastle towards the close of the year 1643. It was then made a royal garrison and the command given to Colonel Roger Molineux.29

For his delinquency to the Commonwealth, Roger Molineux had to compound for his estate in the sum of £200.30

Elizabeth, younger daughter of Sir John Molineux, Bart., by his first wife, Isabell Markham, married Gilbert Gregory, of Barnby, Yorkshire. She was buried, 29th March, 1638, in the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, at Barnby.31

Anne, second daughter of Sir John Molineux by his first wife, died unmarried in 1633, and was likewise buried in the church at Barnby, where, against the south wall of the chancel, near the door, is an altar tomb of freestone, having on the sides the arms of Molyneux, a cross moline, and another shield, a lion rampant, with the inscription: ”Here lyeth interred the corps of Anne Molyneux, II daughter to Sr John Molyneux, of Teversal, in the county of Notts, Knight and Baronet. Which Anne departed this life the III day of Novembr. 1633, aetatis sua xxvii.”

”Whom God doth love, of them he makes his choice

To wait on him, and here hath stilled her voice,

That with him it might be raised hyer

To sing Halleluihs in his holy quyer.”

Gilbert Holles, Earl of Clare, and Sir John Molineux were joint lords of the manor of Blackwell, in the hundred of Scarsdale, Derbyshire, in 1610. Sir John's estate eventually became the property of his descendant, Henry Howard Molyneux, M.P.

Owing to his splendid way of living, Sir John Molineux32 was oblidged to sell a good part of his large estate, and to mortgage the manor of Hawton to Sir Francis Leake, whose descendant, the Earl of Scarsdale, ultimately inherited the property.

Francis, eldest son of Sir John Molineux, succeeded his father as second Baronet, and married Theodosia, daughter of Sir Edward Heron, of Cressy Hall, Lincolnshire,33 K.B., by whom he had three sons, John, Francis, and William, and three daughters, Elizabeth, married to Hugh Cartwright, of Hengrave, Co. Notts, Theodosia, married to Edward Bunney, of Newland, Co. York, and Anne. He died 12th October, 1674, and was succeeded, as third Baronet, by his eldest son, Sir John Molineux, Bart.,34 of Teversal, born 1623, who, by his wife Lucy, daughter of Alexander Rigby, of Middleton, Co. Lancaster, a Baron of the Exchequer, had three sons, Francis, fourth Baronet, John, a student at Gray's Inn, ob. 1684, unmarried, and Thomas; besides four daughters, of whom Mary was wife of the Hon. Richard Leke, son of the third Earl of Scarsdale, and Elizabeth, married to Edmund Jodrell, of Erdesley, Cheshire.

On the 4th March, 1642, 16 Charles I., was issued ”an ordinance of the Lords and Commons assembled in Parliament, for the speedy raising and levying of money for the maintenance of the army raised by the Parliament, and other great affairs of the commonwealth, by a weekly assessment upon the cities of London and Westminster, and every county and city of the kingdom of England and the dominion of Wales.” The weekly assessment of the county and borough of Nottingham being fixed at £187 10s. The committee appointed to carry this ordinance into effect, so far as related to the county of Nottingham, consisted of Sir Francis Thornhagh and Sir Francis Molineux, John Hutchinson, Charles White, Henry Ireton, Francis Pierrepont, Joseph Widmerpool, Robert Rayns, Gilbert Millington, and Francis Thornhagh, jun., esquires.35

Francis Molyneux, of Mansfield, Co. Notts, second son of Sir Francis Molyneux, second Baronet, married Grace, daughter of Conyers, Lord Darcy, of Hornby Castle, Yorkshire,36 and sister to Conyers, Earl of Holderness, by whom he had issue two sons, Darcy and Francis, and three daughters, of whom Dorothy, the youngest, was married 15th April, 1680, at All Saints' Church, York, to Tobit Hodgson, of Bishops Burton, Co. York, He was High Sheriff for Notts 1662, and died 6th February, 1666, and was buried in the church at Mansfield.37

William, third son of Sir Francis Molyneux, an East India Merchant, died at sea, about 1663, unmarried.

Darcy Molineux, the eldest son of Francis Molineux, of Mansfield, was babtized 3rd August, 1652, at Mansfield Church, and married, February, 1674, Elizabeth, daughter of —— Bassett, of Doncaster, by whom he had a family of five sons, Francis, who died in 1677, Darcy, who died in 1680, William, John (of who hereafter—vide Chapter III, page 63), and Thomas; and seven daughters, Lucy, Elizabeth, Mary, Dorothy, Grace, Theodosia, and Isabell. He filled the office of High Sheriff for Nottinghamshire 1687, and died in 1716, and was buried in Mansfield Church.38

William, the third son, settled in Doncaster, of which town he was Mayor in 1721 and 1754.39 He died in 1756. His surviving son, Darcy, a merchant in Leeds, died in 1789, leaving two sons, Darcy, who upon the death in 1812 of Sir Francis Molyneux, Bart., of Wellow, Co. Notts, assumed the title, and died without issue, at Sheepscar, near Leeds, in 1816,40 and William, who died in 1813, and two daughters, Elizabeth, wife of Edward Gray, and Isabella, wife of John Holgate.

Sir Francis Molyneux, fourth Baronet,41 married Diana, daughter of John Howe, of Langar Castle, Nottinghamshire, sister to Scroop, Viscount Howe. He was M.P. for the county of Notts in 1701, 13 William III., and again in 1702, 1 Anne, and died in 1741, aetat. eighty-six. Of his seven sons, John and Scroop died without issue. Francis died anno 1733, leaving, by his wife Mary, daughter and co-heir of —— Brewer, of Bristol, two daughters, Diana42 and Mary. He was one of the Verderers of Sherwood Forest. Charles,43 the fifth son, succeeded his father as fifth Baronet, filled the office of High Sheriff of Notts in 1748, and died unmarried in 1764.

William Molyneux, the youngest son, married Anne, daughter and co-heir of William Chelland, of Wellow, Co. Notts, High Sheriff for the county in 1737, and succeeded his brother Charles as sixth Baronet. He died in 1781, leaving a son and heir, Francis, and a daughter, Juliana, married 11th October, 1764, to Henry Howard, of Sheffield, and Heath Hall, Yorkshire, whose eldest son, Bernard Edward, succeeded in 1815 his cousin as 12th Duke of Norfolk, and was created a Knight of the Garter in 1835.

Thomas, youngest brother of Sir Francis Molyneux, fourth Baronet, a Turkey merchant in London, afterwards of Preston, Co. Lancaster, married Mary, daughter of Gilbert Munday, of Allestree, Derbyshire, by whom he had an only son, Rigby, High Sheriff of Lancashire in 1749, who married, 8th January, 1739, a daughter of Oliver Marton, of Lancaster, with whom he had a dowry of £4,000. Their only child, Mary, became first the wife of John Bushell, M.D., and secondly of Captain Griffiths.

Dorothy, daughter of Francis, second son of Francis Molineux, of Mansfield, by his wife, Mary, daughter of Charles Tancred, of Whixley, Co. York, was married 5th October, 1704, at Chiswick Church, Middlesex, to Lucius Henry, sixth Viscount Falkland.44 Francis Molineux, who styles himself in his will, proved 1719, ”Citizen and Tallowchandler,” carried on the business of a woollen-draper in St. Paul's Churchyard, in the City of London, and his name frequently appears in the Calendar of State Papers in connection with contracts for army clothing.45 He left to his brother Darcy and his friend Mr. Gibson, attorney in the Lord Mayor's Court, his executors, each five yards of black cloth for mourning.

Sir Francis Molyneux, of Wellow, Co. Notts, seventh Baronet, son and heir of Sir William Molyneux, sixth Baronet, was appointed gentleman usher daily waiter to the Queen in 1761, and was knighted on being made Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod in 1765. He died unmarried in 1812, when the family estates passed to his nephew, Lord Henry Thomas Howard, second son, by Juliana, sister to Sir Francis, of Henry Howard, of Sheffield, Derbyshire, and Heath Hall, Yorkshire, brother to Bernard Edward, twelfth Duke of Norfolk, K.G., and who thereupon assumed the name of Molyneux.

Sir Francis Molyneux, with the Duke of Portland, the Duke of Newcastle, Lord Lincoln, Lord J. Clinton, Sr. R. Sutton, Bart., John Musters, Esq., and a large number of noblemen and gentlemen, attended the obsequies of the Duke of Kingston, K.G., on the 19th April, 1774, at Holme Pierrepont, Nottinghamshire.46

At the election for the County of Notts, 9th September, 1780, a large body of freeholders met the candidates at the race-stand on the forest, and forming into a procession marched to the County Hall, Nottingham. Lord Edward Bentinck was nominated by F. Montagu, Esq., of Papplewick, and C. Medows, Esq., by J. Sherwin, Esq., of Nottingham. They were then declared duly elected, and Sir Francis Molyneux—who attended for Lord Edward Bentinck, detained by illness in London—and Mr. Medows were chaired round the town in the customary manner.47

Percy Fitzgerald, in his Life of George IV., relates the following story of a freak perpetrated by the notorious Lord Barrymore one night at Vauxhall, when Sir Francis Molineux formed one of the party at supper:—”Lord Barrymore had, unknown to us, contrived to dress Tom Hooper, the tinman (one of the first pugilists of his time, and who was permanently retained by his Lordship as a sort of bodyguard), as a clergyman, to be in waiting at Vauxhall, in case we should get into any dispute. His black clothes, formal hat, hair powdered and curled round, so far disguised him that he was unknown to us all at first, though Hooper's queer dialect must have soon discovered him to the waiters. About three o'clock, whilst at supper, Lord Falkland, Henry Barry, Sir Francis Molineux, &c., were of our party; there was a continued noise and rioting, and the arrack punch was beginning to operate. On a sudden, all were seen running towards the orchestra, the whole garden seemed to be in confusion, and our party, all impatience, sallied out, those at the further end of the box walking over the table, kicking down the dishes. It seems that Hooper was now for fighting with everybody. A large ring was made, and, advancing in a boxing attitude, he threatened to fight anyone, but all retired before him.”

Teversalt, Tevershalt, Tevershall, or Tersall, was the freehold of Leuric the Saxon before the Conquest, when it became the fee of Ralph Fitzhubert, under whom one Godefried held it, whose posterity took the name of Barré, or Barry. They inhabited this place for some generations, and were benefactors to the Abbey of Beauchief, in Derbyshire, giving it common of pasture for four hundred sheep, and other things, which William their descendant confirmed. From the family of Barry the manor passed to Roger Greenhalgh, who was put into possession of it by a contract of marriage, made May 6th, 23 Henry VII. This Roger made a will, whereby he gave this estate to his granddaughter, Elizabeth, wife of Francis Molineux, Esq., whose great-grandson, Sir Francis, made Teversal his principal seat for some years, till his son, John, was married to Lucy, daughter of Alexander Rigby, when he gave up his house here to him, and settled himself at Kneveton,48 an estate purchased by his father, Sir John Molineux, Bart., in 1678, of John Thornhagh, of Fenton.

Walpoole, in the British Traveller, describes Kneveton as “a very handsome structure, built on an eminence from whence there is a prospect both extensive and delightful."

The ancient family mansion at Kneveton was taken down in 1781, the estates having passed with their sole heiress, Juliana, daughter of Sir William Molyneux, Bart., of Teversal, to Lord Howard, whose eldest daughter, the Hon. Henrietta Anne Howard Molyneux, niece of Bernard Edward, twelfth Duke of Norfolk, was married in August, 1830, to Lord Porchester, afterwards third Earl of Carnarvon.49

The parish of Teversal is situated about four miles west of Mansfield.

The patrons of the living in 1770 were Thomas Berry and wife, and Diana Molyneux, spinster. Sir Francis Molyneux, Bart., was the patron in 1716, Sir Charles Molyneux, Bart., in 1753,50 and Sir Francis Molyneux, Knt. And Bart., LL.D., in 1812.

The monuments which claim the greatest antiquity in the church are two slabs of flat marble in the south part of the church in memory of Roger Greenhalghe, who died in 1562, and Ann, his wife, deceased in 1538. Engraven round the figures on the slabs are these inscriptions:—

“Orate pro anima Rogeri Greenhalghe, armigeri, domini quondam istius ville, qui quidem Rgerus obiit vicessimo tertio die mensis Januarii, anno Domini millesimo quingen-tesimo sexagesimo secundo; cujus anime propicietur Deus. Amen.”

“Orate pro animabus Rogeri Greenhalghe, armigeri, et Anna uxoris sue unius filiarum Thome Babington, de Dethik; quequidem Anna obiit nonagesimo die Junii, anno Domini millesimo quingentesimo tricesimo octavo; quorum animabus propicietur Deus. Amen.”

Over which on the wall on a scroll are the words—

“Memor esto, quoniam
mors non tardat
quid superbie
terra et cinis.”

Near it are some armorial bearings of the family cut in white marble.

In the chancel are three mural monuments to the Baronets of the Molyneux family. The first is of the second Baronet, who died in 1674; it is of white alabaster, having an elegant cornice, surmounted by his crest, and in various parts emblazoned with his own and five other coats of arms. His bust is in the centre between two black marble pillars of the Corinthian order, and under, on a white marble tablet, is the following memorial:—

“Corpus hic requiescit
Dni. Francisci Molyneux a Baronetto
Baronetti
qui patrimonus familiam
familiae patrimonium,
reliquit et adauxit
quem Theodosia, Edwardi Heron de
Cressy Hall in agro Lincoln.
Balnei militis filia in uxorem ducta,
numerosa prole ditavit,
quatuor nempe filiis sexque filiabus.
Ipse in maneris suo de Kneveton
corpus deposuit,
et in Domino obdormivit,
12 Octob. Anno Dni 1674 aetatis suae 72;
Matrimonii vero cum praecharissima
dicta conjuge 54.
In cujus memorium Johannes Molyneux,
Baronettus filius haeresque hoc merito
lugens posuit.”

The second monument, somewhat similar to the first, is to the memory of Sir John Molyneux, Bart., and Lucy, his wife, and is surmounted by a flaming urn and his crest. Two busts of Sir John and his lady, in white alabaster, appear between black columns of the Ionic order. Beneath is inscribed:—

“Here lyes interred the body of Sir John Molyneux, son and heir of Sir Francis Molyneux, Baronett; and also the body of Dame Lucy, his wife, by whom he had three sons and four daughters. Sir John departed this life in October, 1691, and Dame Lucy in August, 1688. Sir Francis, son and heire of Sir John Molyneux, erected this.”

The third monument, which is built of white and black marble, displays the busts of Sir Francis and his lady in white marble, and their joint arms emblazoned underneath with this eulogium:—

“M.S.
In a vault in this church are deposited the remains of Sir Francis Molyneux, Bart., of this place, and of Dame Diana, his wife, the daughter of John Howe, Esq., of Langar, in this county. She had by him seven sons and three daughters, and departed this life the 8th day of January, in the year of our Lord 1718, in the 60th year of her age. Sir Francis died the 12th day of March, 1741, aged 86 years.
Happy in the conjugal,
not unhappy in the parental state,
they ended their days in peace
and in full assurance of a blessed
Resurrection.

Sir Charles Molyneux, Bart., fifth son and heir, put up this monument to the memory of the best of parents.”

On the south side of the nave are hung the achievements of several of the Baronets and their ladies. In the church is a large and elegant seat of oak belonging to the Molyneux family, having double doors ornamented at each corner with twisted corinthian columns, which support a large canopy, in the center of which the Molyneux arms are carved, and beneath is a spacious vault where are deposited the remains of the family; the door of the chancel has on it the initials J.M. (for John Molyneux), 1617.

The communion plate is of silver, and very handsome, consisting of a large flagon, the gift of Sir Charles Molyneux, Bart., 1749, with two salvers and a cup, presented by Mrs. Diana Molyneux; the whole adorned with their arms.

In the churchyard, on a plain headstone, is this inscription:—

“Here lyeth the body of Richard Marriot of Rowthorn, who departed this life Sept. 9, 1743, aged 84. He lived in the service of the Molyneux family,51 of this place, upwards of 70 years. Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”

The ancient Hall of Teversal was of stone, and erected apparently at different periods, the centre portion being the most ancient, built probably by Roger Greenhalgh, in the reign of Henry VIII. The grand entrance was through a porch (over which in 1811 were still remaining the arms of the Greenhalgh family, impaling Babington), having at the farther end a massy oak door, bearing date 1612, that once opened into a spacious hall, at the north end of which was the gallery. The suite of rooms, though not on an extensive scale, were stately and handsome in their day. The rooms most deserving of observation were the dining-parlour and the drawing-room; the former had its walls embellished to the last with white embossed stucco, representing a variety of rural scenery, the sport of hawking, and the story of Actaeon. The Hall stood on high ground, overlooking to the south extensive gardens descending to terraces by flights of steps, and ornamented at intervals with some venerable yews. The Hall was pulled down at the beginning of the present century.52

 

FOOTNOTES:

1. Note—The church of All Saints, Hawton, comprises a decorated chancel of three bays, a nave with clerestory and aisles, and a lofty perpendicular tower.

The sedilia occupy the wall between the central and eastern windows, and consist of three seats of magnificent structure. The north wall sepulchre is also very fine, and of rich design. The sculptures represent the resurrection and ascension of the Saviour, in three series: the first comprising the four soldiers set to watch the burial-place; then the resurrection of the Christ, with the three Marys bearing alabastra in their hands, and two angels beautifully and delicately executed; the third represents the ascension, in which the head and body of the Saviour are lost in the heavens, the legs and feet only being portrayed. The twelve apostles are divided into rour groups, and are much mutilated. The guards of the tomb have helmets and portions of chain mail; their shields bear dragons and heads in profile.

The founder's tomb is rich and beautiful. His effigy is clothed in chain mail, and his hands are upraised in prayer; his legs are crossed, and rest upon a lion. At the back of the tomb is a hagioscope.—Journal of the Archeological Association, 1852.

2. Note—Under an arch on the south side of the chancel of the church at Hamstall Ridware is an alter tomb, on the side of which is a shield with the following arms: “Ar. a fess between 3 cinquefoils, Gu.” (Powtrell). “ B, a cross moline, Arg.” (Molineux), impaling “ B, a spread eagle, Arg.” (Cotton), with the inscription, “Katerin, 1st married Th. Powtrell, of Halo, and second Thos. Molyneux, of Haughton.”—Shaw's Staffordshire.

3. Note—Thomas Whalley, of Cotgrave, Notts, married Margaretta, daughter of &emdash; Molyneux, and John Molyneux, of New Hall, West Derby, Lancashire, married Margaret, daughter of John Whalley, Co. Lancaster.

Richard Whalley, of Shelford, sold anno 32 Henry VIII. to William Molyneux, of Haughton, third son of Robert Molyneux, one messauge in Milngate, Newark.

In the chancel of Screveton Church, Notts, is a very stately monument of alabaster for Richard Whalley, Esquire, a man of eminent note in his time, one of the challengers at tournament in the time of King Henry VIII. He is mentioned in the MSS. memoirs of Edward VI, as a trusty and kinsman of the good duke of Somerset, then Lord Protector of the Realm, for whose sake he suffered much by imprisonment, paid a large composition to Queen Mary, and contracted debts to the sum of £48,866 13s. 4d. Over his head, at a little distance, stands a coronet, in grateful memory of the patent designed by King Edward VI. to create him Earl of Nottingham.

The Rev. Peter Whalley, LL.B., Rector of St. Gabriel Fenchurch and St. Margaret Pattens, London, edited, in 1756, an edition of Ben Jonson's works, a copy of which formerly belonging to Samuel Whalley, Esquire of Footherly Hall, near Lichfield, is in the possession Gisborne Molineux, Esquire, to whose grandfather, Thomas Gisborne Molineux, it was bequeathed by Mrs. Whalley.

Footherly, according to Erdeswiwicke, belonged in the time of Elizabeth to the Floyers, when Francis Floyer was settled there. From them it passed to Samuel Whalley. From the Whalleys it was purchased by Lewis Buckeridge, at whose death it was again sold.

In the Calendar of Proceedings in Chancery in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, John Molineux appears as plaintiff in a suit against Richard Whalley, relative yo lands in Musholmsfield.

4. NoteNewcomb's Repertorium.

5. NoteWeever's Funeral Monuments.

6. Note—The Bishop gave to the high alter of the Cathedral Church of Chichester “certain rich clothes of crimson velvet.”

7. NoteNicholas's Testamenta Vetusta.

8. Note—Issues of the Exchequer.

9. Note—Lysons, in his Environs of London, states that Margaret, relict of Baldwin L'Estrange, died anno 1432, seized of a third part of two parts of the manor of Pomfret upon Thames, in the parish of Stepney, which severalty was valued at 20s. an acre. Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Molineux, aged 14, was her heir. The said Margaret, according to Atkyns, was also seized of Ludelos, within the manor of Campden, Co Gloucester, 10 Henry VI. In the 6 Edward IV., Robert Molyneux was seized of the manor of Chipping Campden, and in the 13 Edward IV. John Molyneux, his son and heir, was the possessor. The manor, with the advowson of the chapel of S. Catherine, descended afterwards to his daughter Cicely, wife of John Joslyn, by whom a fine of the manor and of the advowson was levied to the use of Thomas Molineux and others, 10 Henry VII. The following notices respecting the manor, and the Molineux family in conjunction therewith, are taken from the Calendarium Inquis' Post-mortem:—

“6 Edward IV.—Robertus Molineux, armiger. Cheping Camden medietas manerii—Gloucestershire.”

“13 Edward IV.—Joh'es Molyneux, armiger. Cheping Camden medietas manerii extent, 4 mess ’iben voc Huntsfee—Gloucestershire.

Pirrehalle in Pirre et Barr Parva, maner five messuuag.—Staffordshire.

Sutton in Colevill maner' membr' Honnisworth terra &c.—Staffordshire.

Lynches 3th pars manerii Mudle maner' membr'—Salop.”

“2 Ric. III.—Joh'es Molyneux, Cheping Camden medictas maneri Huntsfee infra domin de Cheping Camden, quartuar mess., &c. —Gloucestershire.”

10. Note—James Molyneux, son of Sir Richard Molyneux, Knt., was instituted Incumbent of Grafton, 29th November, 1477, on the presentation of Anthony Wydeville, Lord Rivers and Scales.—Bridge's Hist. of Northamptonshire.

On the 29th March, 18 Henry Vii., James Molyneux and William Standisshe were appointed Barons of the Exchequer during pleasure.—Duchy Records.

In 1434, Thomas Wydevill, Esq., by his will directed his feoffees to convey the Hermitage of St. Mary and St. Michael of Grafton, with other lands, to the Abbey of St. James, near Northampton. Anthony, Earl Rivers, dispossessed the Abbot, and his will, made on the 23rd June, 1483, the day before his execution, has this clause" “Also I will that all such land as I purchased by the mean of Sir James Molaynes, priest, remayned still wt the maner of Grafton, toward the finding of the priest of t'harmitage.”—Baker's History of Northamptonshire.

11. Note—John Butler, of Kirkland Hall, Lancashire, by his will, dated 16 February, 1543, bequeathed to his son John, “all things belonging to his chapel, his velvet nightcap, damask doublet, and all the harness that he has:” also “his white horse and buckskin saddle.” To Mr. Edmund Molyneux, learned in the law, his “white dun stag.”

12. Note—In the accounts of the bailiffs of Shrewsbury for 1542 appears the item, “Paid Molynex, Sergeant-at-law, and Robert Broke, learned in the law, for their counsel, and overlooking a petition exhibited for discharge for the subsidies, 15s.”—Owen and Blakeway's Hist. of Shrewsbury.

13. NoteLipscomb's History of the Bucks records the death, on 15th August 1468, of Sir John Cheyne, aged 100. He had been in the Holy Wars, in which he slew “quondam immunissimum gigantem,” near the Sepulchre of Christ, and was thereupon made a Knight Banneret.

At a Privy Council held at Westminster, 12th March, 1541, William Emlar, a goldsmith of London, was examined for buying certain images of silver and other plate which had been stolen from the College of Eton; and and was committed to the Porter's Ward. On the following day John Cheney, a late scholar of Eton, was examined before the council concerning the robbery, and having made a confession in writing, was comitted to the keeping of the clerk of the check of the guard. On the 15th March, Robert Cheney, of Chessamboys, Bucks, Esquire, entered into a recognizance of one hundred pounds for the appearance of his son before the council at all times within twelve months ensuing, “upon reasonable warning.”—Tighe and Davis's Annals of Windsor.

14. Note—Some of the descendants of Edwards Molineux appear to have settled at Mansfield, Notts. The registers there record the baptism on 11th July, 1696, of Anne, daughter of Edward and Alice Molyneux; on 4th December, 1697, of a son, Edward; on 13th September, 1700, of a daughter, Frances; and on the 28th January, 1704, of another daughter, Mary. The burial of Edward Molineux is recorded on 6th May 1704, and that of Alice, his wife, on 23rd September, in the same year.

An Edward Molyneux was Rector of Ashton-under-Lyne, 1535.

15. Note—Christopher Molineux, with his brothers, Thomas and Edmund, and his nephew, Edmund Molineux, appear as defendants in a suit in Chancery, brought by one John Brownlowe, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, under “a claim by purchase of the manor of Saxondale and divers lands thereto belonging, late the estate of Sir Edmund Molineux, deceased.”—Calendar of Proceedings in Chancery.

In the Office of the Remembrancer of the City of London is preserved a letter, dated 24th January, 1594, from Sir John Puckering to the Lord Mayor and Aldermen, soliciting the reversion of a Common Pleader's place, for Christopher Molineux, of Gray's Inn.

16. Note—Lady Elizabeth Meires was executrix under the will of William Molyneux, of Hawton, nephew to Sir Edmund Molyneux, who died in 1542.

17. Note—Gilbert, Earl of Shrewsbury, in a letter dated Sheffield Lodge, 26th August, 1609, addressed to Lord Salisbury, sends information of an accusation brought against Rutland Molyneux by Lady Markham, the most “pragmatical-headed lady in these parts of England.” She, Sir John Hollis, and his chaplain, Chapman, have all a grudge against Molyneux. Questions whether this information be not a plot to drive him from this part of the country.

18. Note—Entry in Register at Thorpe::—“1612, Brigitta Molineux Vidus Edmundi Molineux ARMIGERI sepulta 25 October, Anno Supradicta.”

19. Note—Sapcote, it appears, was a mauvais sujet, and took to evil courses. The brief but significant phrase “suspensus apud London,” appended to his name in the pedigree of the family in the Herald's Visitations of Notts, is suggestive of his untimely end.

20. Note—On 30th July, 1500, Gamaliel Clifton, scholar and bachelor of laws, a son of Sir Gervase Clifton, Knt., of Clifton, Notts, was instituted to the rectory of Hawton on the presentation of Thomas Molineux, Esquire. He was admitted the same year to the stall of Wiston, York, and afterwards became a Canon of Windsor and Dean of Hereford.

Thomas Molineux was an executor to the will of Sir Henry Pierrepoint, Knight, and supervisor under the will of Richard Peyrpointe, Clerk. Sir Henry Pierrepoint was ancestor of the Earls of Kingston, and particularly distinguished himself at the battle of Towton, fought on Palm Sunday, 1461, between the adherents of the Red and White Roses. By his will, dated 23rd October, 1489, he desires “To be buried in the Parish Church of Saynte Edmond in Holme, among my worshipfull auncetres;” and after divers bequests he leaves “The residue to the discrecion of my executors, they to dispose of my goods for the wele of my soule, and the soules of all myne auncetres, as they will answer aneust God at the daie of Judgment, and as they wold that I did for theyme in case like; which executers I make, John Charnock, parsonne of Widmerpole, John Caunt, parsonne of Holme, John Vilers, Esquire, Thomas Molyneux, Esquire, and Sir William Coke, parish priest of Saynte James' chapell of Lynne; and I make the righte reverande fader in God, and myne especiall good lorde, my lorde Thomas th' archbishop of Yorke, supervisor.”

21. NoteThoroton's Notts.

22. Note—A letter from Dr. Downham, Bishop of Chester, to the Privy Council, dated 1st February, 1575—6, respecting neglect of worship in Lancashire and Cheshire, encloses certificate with the names of those who were summoned to appear before the Bishop. Among those who “shewed themselves conformable,” appear the names of “Thomas Mollinex, gen.” and “John Mollinex, schalern,” the latter probably second son of William Molyneux, of Sefton, brother to Sir Richard Molyneux, Knt., first Baronet.—Chetham Society's Publications.

23. Note—Sir Richard Molyneux was appointed in the same year Butler in the County Palatine of Lancaster for life.

Nicholas Assheton in his Journal relates the following anecdote of Sir Richard: “July 18, 1617, Sir Richard and Mr. Assheton made a match, a dunn gelding against a dunn nagg of Sir Richard, at Lirpoole, for 20 pieces a side. Sir Richard and my coozen to ride light as they can, so as Sir Richard be ten stone.”

On the 26th June, 1596, Sir Richard Molyneux, his wife, the Lady Gerrard, her mother, William, Earl of Derby, Mr. Hoghton, and others, on their way to Lyme, called unexpectedly upon Dr. Dee, the Warden of Manchester, who made them what he called “a skaller's collation,” which was taken in good part.—Chetham Society's Publications.

24. NoteNichol's Collectanea Typographica of Genealogica

25. Note—Lady Molyneux brought several actions against her brother-in-law, Sir Francis Foljambe, Bart., which coupled with his extravagent style of living, compelled him in 1633 to sell Walton and the greater part of the Derbyshire estates to the Ingram family. Lady Molyneux appears to have herself fallen into pecuniary difficulties, for on 10th March, 1625, a grant was issued to her of protection from arrest for one year; and sixteen years later, on the 2nd February, 1641, she presented a petition to the House of Lords, setting forth that she was a prisoner in the Fleet, and was possessed of lands in Derbyshire worth £800 per annum, but about sixteen years ago became indebted for various sums, and for twelve years past all her lands have been in the King's hands, though outlawries and extents; prays that the persons named may state their several claims, that witnesses may be called, and that she may be set at liberty to prosecute her cause. A financial statement is appended to the petition showing that petitioner is stripped of all her estate , saving £50 per annum allowed by the Court of Exchequer for her maintenance.

26. Note—On the 27th November, 1633, John Dinley, writing to Sir Francis Nethersole from the Hague, mentions that “The Queen of Bohemia wishes him to inquire after a young son of Lady Fulgiams, or Mollenax, who has been recommended to her for a page.” The queen of Bohemia here mentioned was Elizabeth, daughter of King James I., wife of Frederick, Elector Palatine, and the mother of Prince Rupert and Prince Maurice. For her lovable disposition, she acquired the title of “Queen of Hearts.” Young Roger Molineux was chosen and went out as a page of honour to the Electress.—Calendar of State Papers.

27. Note—Colonel Molineux afterwards sold the Hall to Captain John Lowe, of the Alderwasley family.

28. NoteDickinson's Hist. of Newark.

29. NoteLyson's Magna Britannia.

30. NoteThe Reliquary—Vol. xiv.

31. NoteHunter's South Yorkshire.

32. Note—Sir Anthony Weldon, author of a “Satirical Description of Scotland,” alludes to Sir John, in a letter dated Leith, 20th June, 1617, as “the noble Sir John Mollineux.“

33. Note—The Heron family was descended from Sir John Heron, Knt., Privy Councillor to Henry VII.

Margaret, mother of Henry VII., was once entertained at Cressy Hall. The bedstead whereon the Queen lay was removed to a farmhouse called Wrighalt, where it was to be seen until about 1750. It was described as being made of oak, with panels of old embossed work, very large, and shut up on all sides with wainscot, with two holes left at the bottom end, each big enough to admit a grown person.

A vast heronry formerly existed in the park.—Allen.

34. Note—Sir John was possessed of the manor of Becconsall by Hesketh, Co. Lancaster, which property afterwards descended through the marriage of an heiress of the Molineux family to Sir Thomas Hasketh, Bart., of Rufford Hall. On a large stone lying in 1836 at the end of the farm buildings attached to Becconsall Hall was inscribed, “John and Lucy Molyneux built this House Anno 1667. T.H.”

35. NoteBailey's Annals of Notts.

36. Note—Conyers, fourth Baron Conyers, succeeded to that barony after the termination of the abeyance, 13th July, 1644, and being paternally descended from Lord Darcy, was created Baron Darcy by patent, 10th August, 1641. He died in 1653, leaving by his wife, Dorothy, daughter of Sir Henry Bellasyse, of Newborough, Co. York, a son and successor, Conyers, fifth Baron Conyers, created 5th December, 1682, Earl of Holderness.—Burke's Peerage and Baronetage.

37. Note—At the date of Hunter's visit to Mansfield Church, the 10th August, 1802, there was to be seen on a seat door, probably that of the pew occupied by the Molineux family, a cross moline pierced square; also a plate inscribed&mdash

“Hic jacet Francisci Molyneux filius natu minor Domini Francisci Molyneux de Teversall, Baronetti, qui in uxorum duxit Graciam filiam Grenevilis Conyers Darcy, Domini Darcy Meynille et Conyers, et obiit die Februarie sexto anno Domini 1666. Et Darcias Molyneux filius natu major predicti Francisci Molyneux qui obiit decimo quarto die Aprilis anno Domini 1716.”&mdashCollectanea Huntereana.

In the Court Rolls of Mansfield is the following entry:—

“To this Court came Richard Girdler and Eliz. his wife, and John Marsh and Gertrude his wife, to use of George Sylvester (query) and Edmd. Bell, to fulfil the last will of Mr. Molineux.”—Ibid.

38. Note—Harrod in his Hist. of Mansfield, 1801, mentions that the purple covering for the communion table in the church was the gift of a Mrs. Mary Molyneux.

39. Note—In 1721, during the Mayoralty of William Molyneux, the five church bells were taken down and eight new ones with new metal hung up; and in 1754 a turnpike road was made from the Friars' bridge, and a set of chimes fixed in the church.—Miller's Hist. of Doncaster.

40. Note—Since his death the Baronetcy has been in abeyance.

41. Note—On the 26th January, 1765, occurred the fatal duel between William Lord Byron, of Newstead Abbey, and William Chaworth, Esquire, of Annesley Hall. The fatal affair took place after a dinner of the “Nottinghamshire Club,” the members of which were in the habit of meeting and dining together once a week during the season at the “Star and Garter” Tavern, Pall Mall. On the day above mentioned, the meeting consisted of John Thornhagh Hewett, Esq. (who presided as chairman), Sir Robert Burdett, Frederick Montague, Esq., John Sherwin, Esq., Lord Byron, Francis Molineux, Esq. (grandson of Sir F. Molineux, Bart., M.P.), William Chaworth, Esq., George Douston, Esq., and Charles Mellish, Jun., Esq. All was sociability and good humor till about the usual hour of departure, seven o'clock, when it was customary to have the bill brought in with the last bottle, about which time Mr. Hewett started a conversation concerning game, which elicited some remarks touching Sir Charles Sedley's manors, between Mr. Chaworth and Lord Byron, that eventually led to a duel in a room in the house between those two gentlemen, ending in the death of the former.

42. Note—Diana Molyneux died at Bath the 15th June, 1750, and was buried in the abbey church, where there is a mural marble tablet to her memory.

43. Note—In 1745 a writ was received from the King, directed to the Mayor of Nottingham, authorising him to levy forces and discharge other necessary duties connected with the defence of the town and the preservation of the public peace on the approach of the Scotch rebels southward. The Duke of Kingston undertook to raise a regiment of light cavalry for the service of the Crown, which regiment was afterwards engaged at the Battle of Culloden, where three butchers among the Nottingham men slew fourteen of the enemy with their own swords. Sir Charles Molyneux, Bart., subscribed £100 towards the fund for raising and equipping this regiment.—Bailey's Annals oh Notts.

44. Note—Entry in Register, Chiswick Church:—“The Right Hon. Lucius Henry, Lord Falkland, of St. James, Westminster, single man, and Mad. Dorothee Molyneux, of St. Gregory's, London, a single woman, married by licence, Oct. 5, 1704.”—Lyson's Environs of London.

45. Note—The Government of the day, probably from impecuniosity, appears to have been somewhat dilatory in meeting the payments due under these contracts. The Calendar of State Papers contains a Report, dated 17th August, 1698, of Lord Ranalegh to the Lords of the Treasury on the petition of Francis Mollineux and others, praying payment of £2,326 19s. 11½d., due to them for clothing the officers of several regiments, recommending them for consideration and relief; in reference to which the following Minute was made by “My Lords,”—“When any further part of ye Flanders subsistence is paid, this shall be taken care of.”

46. NoteThe Nottingham Date Book.

47. NoteThe Nottingham Date Book.

48. NoteMagna Britannia.

49. NoteBailey's Annals of Notts.

50. NoteThoroton's Notts.

51. Note—Sir Francis, Sir John, Sir Francis, and Sir Charles Molyneux successively.

52. NoteGentleman's Magazine, vol. lxxxiv., part 2, which contains a view of the Hall as it appeared in 1811. Lewis, in his Typographical Dictionary, states that the ancient mansion house was built by Gilbert Greenhalghe in the reign of Henry VII., and that the ruins, together with the remains of a hanging garden on a very magnificent scale, were still existing in 1831.