VOLUME XXXV       FEBRUARY 2021       ISSN 1530-4132

VOLUME XXXV       FEBRUARY 2021

In This Issue:

News from the UK
UK003 Betty Molyneux Brown

Hello Everyone what a year 2020 has been and we are still no further ahead with the dreaded pandemic which is sweeping the whole world. We hope and pray that the terrible time will come to an end in this New Year. Thank you to all who have sent greetings and Christmas cards, they are much appreciated.

NEW UK MEMBERS:

We give a warm welcome to five new members:

UK225 Linda Mary Wallwork, (see below).

UK226 Helen Lightfoot. Helen’s great grandma was Margaret Molyneux born in Lancaster in 1898, and we look forward to her sharing details with us.

UK227 Neil Molyneux . Neil now lives in Scotland but he originally came from Liverpool. We look forward to hearing from Neil about his family and would ask that he shares details with us.

UK228 Tina Sutton. Her grandmother’s family were Mullineux from Worsley/Swinton/Clifton and Farnworth area. We would ask Tina to share information when she discovers more.

UK229 Ruth Jones. Same goes for Ruth

MATTHEW MULLINEUX MC

UK225 Linda Mary Wallwork has sent us some very interesting stories about a Matthew Mullineux who she believes was her ggg grandad’s grandson, i.e., her gg gradma’s nephew. He was quite famous at the time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Mullineux

MATTHEW MULLINEUX MC was born on 8th August 1867 and died 13th February 1945.

He was born at Barton on Irwell, Eccles, England, and died aged 77 at Kensington, England. He attended Cambridge University and became a Military Chaplain.

He was an English rugby union scrum-half who, although not capped for England, went on two British Lions tours. One cap was gained during the 1896 South African tour and he captained the 1899 tour of Australia. He was also connected to the church and was an Anglican Minister, later becoming a chaplain in the British Army. Matthew was awarded the Military Cross for his actions during WWI.

Matthew was educated at Manchester Grammar School and then matriculated to St. John’s College, Cambridge. He received his BA in 1896 and the following year was ordained as a Deacon at Southwark Cathedral. The next year he was ordained as a priest and took his orders at the Church of Mottingham, becoming also the Assistant Master at the nearby Royal Naval School in Eltham. He left England for Australia on the 9th May 1899 as part of the British Isles rugby tour and left both his posts.

Rugby Career

As a student, he first came to note as a rugby player when he played for Cambridge University, being a scrum-half before turning out for Blackheath. He was selected in 1896 to play in Johnny Hammond’s British Isles Team to tour South Africa, although he only played in one of the test matches, the opening win over South Africa at Port Elizabeth. He played in twelve games on the tour scoring four tries, including two against Queenstown, and a dropped goal in the win over Grahamstown.

In 1899 the first officical British team to tour Australia was selected and Mullineux was not only chosen to captain the team but to manage it. He represented the British team in the opening game, but the tourists lacked cohesion and lost to the Australians 13-3. The British Isles had under-performed in the few invitational games leading up to the first test and after the defeat to the Wallabies, Mullineux dropped himself from the team for the remaining tests and brought in Charlie Adamson as his replacement. The captaincy was given to Frank Stour and the tourists play began to improve. After Mullineux’s decision the British Isles played far better rugby and won the last three tests to take the series 3-1. Although no longer a part of the test team, he continued to represent the British team against the invitational and regional teams. He played in ten games on the tour his only points came from a try in the loss against Queensland.

Military Career

Mullineux, from an early age, followed a career in the Anglican church and was the Rev. Mr. Mullineux during the British Isles tours; even preaching at local churches after the matches. After the British Isles tour, he served in the British Army as an acting Chaplain to the forces during the second Boer War. He became a Royal Navy Chaplain on 7th August 1902 and served on several ships; HMS Amphion (1902-04), HMS Terrible (1904), HMS Albion (1904-05), HMS Barfleur (1905-06) and HMS Hogue (1906-07). In 1907 he became the Assistant Chaplain at Montreux.

Before the outbreak of WWI, Mullineux was chaplain to the Flying Angel Mission in America, but travelled by mail boat to New Zealand in order to proceed on active duty. While there he studied medicine before leaving for Britain as a Chaplain to the Forces. In May 1918 while posted at a regimental aid post in France, Mullineux took command of the post after the serving medical officer was incapacitated by his wounds. For 12 hours the station came under high-explosive gas-shelling during which time Mullineux tended to the wounded and supervised evacuation of the site. He was awarded the Military cross for his actions during this time.


Mullineux with Ernest Shakleton 3rd from left Explorer

Mullineux with Ernest Shakleton 3rd from left Explorer

Later Years

Mullineux carried on his connections with the arms forces and Australasia when he toured churches and Red Cross Societies throughout Australia. He gave lectures on the war cemeteries of Europe. In 1919 he set up the St. Barnabas Society, a charity which helped finance those too poor to visit the graves of family members who had died in WWI. The Society also placed wreaths at graves on behalf of relatives and became an important organisation for war grave pilgrimages from Britain.

When his military service ended in 1935, Mullineux became the Vicar of Marham in Norfolk until his death in 1945.

Many thanks UK225 Linda Mary Wallwork for sending us this interesting story about Matthew Mullineux. With compliments to Wikipedia Tom.Reding

OBITUARY UK113 FRANK RIMMER

Frank sadly passed away on the 2nd of January 2021. He was 90 and had sent me a Christmas Card.

Husband of the late Anne, he had been a teacher at Central Modern Cowley, St. Helens then at Ashton-in-Makerfield Grammar School. Funeral was 20th January and he was buried in Rainford All Saints Church yard. Beloved uncle of nephews and nieces.

He and his wife Anne were very interested in IMFA because of Frank’s connections with a very large Molyneux family who farmed Big Dale Farm or Great Dale Farm as it was sometimes referred to.

History of the farm starts with Thomas Molyneux, a farmer, born in 1770 and died in 1846. He married Margaret Caldwell in 1792 at the church of St. James’, Toxteth Liverpool. Built in 1775, St. James’ was an extra-parochial church within the Parish of Walton on the Hill. It was used for marriages by the folks of Kirkby, Simmonswood, West Derby, Everton, Kirkdale, Bootle, Fazakerley and Walton, as an alternative to their Parish Church of St. Mary ‘s at Walton on the Hill or other chapels within the Parish.

A number of past members have connection to this large family: UK085 Pat Topham, UK096 Joan Evans, UK061 Peter Molyneux, UK116 Nana Evans

Thomas and Margaret had 14 children, 4 of which had died in infancy and a child aged 15, in 1815.

THOMAS MOLYNEUX B.1770 D. 1846 buried St. Chad’s Kirkby, farmed Big Dale Farm
Kirkby m Margaret Caldwell (1773-1850) at St. James Toxteth, 4th February 1792.

All children were baptized at St. Chad’s Chapel, Kirkby
Ann 1792-94
Mary 1794-97
John 1795 m Mary Barlow 1818 at Walton: issue:
Margaret, Mary, John, Alice, Nancy, John, Agnes, Lettice, James and Matthew
William 1796-1842 /wheelwright married Jane Crosbie 1825 St. Peter’s Church, Liverpool
James 1798-1886 m Margaret Jackson 1824 Kirkby, issue:
Mary, John, Thomas, Margaret, Elizabeth, Ann, Thomas, John
Ann 1800-15
Margaret 1802 m Thomas Caldwell 1824 Kirkby
Thomas 1805-06
Mary 1807-39 m Edward Heyes 1830 issue:
Ann, Margaret, (both died)
Alice 1809 m James Chaloner 1829 Kirkby: issue:
Thomas, Margaret, Alice (all died)
Thomas 1811-52 m1) Mary Lunt 1834 St. Peter’s Liverpool; issue: William, Thomas, Margaret
Shoemaker m2) Ann Arnett 1839 St. Nicholas, Liverpool: issue James, John, Matthew
m3) Margaret Hurst 1849 St. Chad’s Kirkby
Matthew 1813-60 m Elizabeth Wilkinson 1837 Kirkby, issue:
Margaret, Martha, James, Mary, Elizabeth, Nancy, Alice, Jane (Thomas b. 1850 m Sarah Owen
UK113 Frank Rimmer’s Line
Ann 1816 m James Atherton 1834 Kirkby, issue: William
Elizabeth 1821-2


Photo: Big Dale Farm Kirkby c. 1899. The family pictured is that of Thomas Molyneux b.1850 and Sarah Owen. This Thomas was the son of Matthew Mx 1813-60 and Elizabeth Wilkinson and grandson of Thomas 1770-1846 and Margaret Caldwell.
Left to right: Sarah Mx 1887, Elizabeth Mx 1878, Mary Mx 1882, Martha Ellen 1885, father Thomas Mx, Thomas Owen Mx 1884, mother Sarah Mx (nee Owen), Margaret Alice Mx 1893 and Clara Mx 1875-1914. Clara is the grandmother of the deceased UK113 Frank Rimmer. Clara married John Atherton (1875-1915), of Pear Tree Farm on 12.8.1903 at Kirkby. Their daughter Martha married James Rimmer who were the parents of Frank UK113.

Photo: Big Dale Farm Kirkby c. 1899. The family pictured is that of Thomas Molyneux b.1850 and Sarah Owen. This Thomas was the son of Matthew Mx 1813-60 and Elizabeth Wilkinson and grandson of Thomas 1770-1846 and Margaret Caldwell.
Left to right: Sarah Mx 1887, Elizabeth Mx 1878, Mary Mx 1882, Martha Ellen 1885, father Thomas Mx, Thomas Owen Mx 1884, mother Sarah Mx (nee Owen), Margaret Alice Mx 1893 and Clara Mx 1875-1914. Clara is the grandmother of the deceased UK113 Frank Rimmer. Clara married John Atherton (1875-1915), of Pear Tree Farm on 12.8.1903 at Kirkby. Their daughter Martha married James Rimmer who were the parents of Frank UK113.

 

1841 Census – Dale Farm Kirkby, Lancashire

Thomas Molyneux 70, Margaret wife 65 and Grace grand dau. Aged 10. Her parents were old. Thomas’ son William Mx and Jane (Crosbie)
Also at Dale farm:
Old Thomas’ son Matthew Molyneux farmer 25, Elizabeth (Wilkinson) wife 25, Margaret 3, Martha 2, James 7 months and Nancy 13 dau. Of Matthew’s brother John & Mary (Barlow).

The foregoing details of the large family of Gt. Dale Farm Kirkby gives us an idea of how many people were connected to them.

May UK113 Frank Rimmer rest in peace, as no doubt he will be with all his previous ancestors.

OBITUARY UK026 NIGEL (TED) MOLYNEUX


Ted Molyneux (1930-2021)

Ted Molyneux (1930-2021)

We have lost another of our very interested members UK26 Ted Molyneux of Dorking, Surrey. Ted died on Sunday 24th January 2021. He was 91 years old and a patient at East Surrey Hosopietal, Redhill, where he was being treated for a heart disorder. He contracted Covid 19 and died of pneumonia amongst other things. His death was advised to us by his cousin UK161 John Molyneux. He will be greatly missed.

Ted was very interested in Military items and regularly sent us information of Molyneux’s who were in the forces.

He was Vice Captain of the Great Britain Rifle Team and went all over the world with this organisation. He had certainly visited numerous places which he enjoyed very much.

UK26 Ted Molyneux and UK161 John Molyneux were first cousins and shared lots of family information.


Grandfather William Molyneux 1868-1961
Grandmother Sarah Molyneux (nee Jones) 1869-1940

Grandfather William Molyneux 1868-1961
Grandmother Sarah Molyneux (nee Jones) 1869-1940

The Molyneux Family of Dorking, Surrey was a very interesting one and here is some information about them.

Their grandfather was William Molyneux b. September 1868, he married Sarah Jones on 19th February 1895. They had 4 children.
William Edward b. 21 September 1896. Died 29 October 1982 (UK026 Ted’s father)
Thomas Charles b. 14th January 1898, died 15 April 1971
Alfred John b.15th January 1902, died 11 Deecember 1986 (UK161 John’s father)
Mary Agnes b. 6th January 1906, died 26 July 1966

John and Ted’s grandfather William was a Saddler and Harness Maker by trade. They lived in a very old house that was 17th century, if not earlier and it was reputedly used as a hospital following the Great Plague, hence its official name was “Pest House Cottages”!

Grandfather William was one of nine children, 3 boys and 6 girls. His father Thomas, (great grandfather to Ted and John) was born 17th July 1841 and married Sarah Ware, born Horley, Surrey in 1841.

In 1881 the family were recorded as living in Heath Hill, Dorking, Surrey:
Thomas Molyneux married 41 Bill Poster born Dorking, Surrey
Sarah Molyneux wife 41 born Horley, Surrey
Thomas Molyneux son unm 21 Auctioneers Porter born Dorking, Surrey
Alfred Molyneux son 14 Grocers Assistant born Dorking, Surrey
William Molyneux son 12 Butchers Assistant born Dorking, Surrey
Annie Molyneux dau 9 scholar born Dorking, Surrey
Emily Molyneux dau 7 scholar born Dorking, Surrey
Sarah Molyneux dau 5 scholar born Dorking, Surrey
Agnes Molyneux dau 4 scholar born Dorking, Surrey
Later, 2 more daughters were born: Fanny who married George Tigwell & Lily who married Keith Dewey.

Note: Grandad William was a Butchers Assistant in 1881, after that he became a Saddler and Harness Maker. Photo c.1952


Photo c.1952

Photo c.1952

Whilst grandad William was busy making saddles, horse collars and harnesses, just what was grandmother Sarah Molyneux (nee Jones) getting up to! Not a lady to be ‘trifled with’ by all accounts! She had a group of wormen sorting out salvage during the First World War.

They were possibly Suffragettes as Sarah was very involved with the Suffragette Movement . What admdirable women they were too. It was because of these brave ladies, who, in some cases, chained themselves to railings that lead to the eventual women’s vote in England. (In 1818 after many years of campaigning, women aged over 30 were given the vote. By 1928 this was extended to include all women).

So we have lost another very interested and dedicated member of IMFA. Our sympathy goes out to Ted’s family and may he Rest in Peace. Thank you UK161 John Molyneux for letting us know.

MOLYNEUX HOUSE, PETER STREET, DUBLIN


On the North side of Peter Street, once stood a large house, formerly the residence of the Molyneux family. Sir Thomas Mx (1661-1773) President of the College of Physicians and Physician General (head of the Army Medical Service) bought the site in 1707 and in 1711, built a large house. Thomas Mx was the second son of Samuel Molyneux of Castle Dillon, Co. Armagh, Chief Engineer of Ireland, and younger brother of William Mx. A stone slab over the door had the inscription “This House was erected in the year 1711 by Sir Thomas Molyneux Bart, descended from Sir Thomas Molyneux Chancellor of the Exchequer in the reign of Queen Elizabeth”. Above the slab was a shield with the Mx Arms, a cross Moline, pierced in dexter chief a fleur-de-lis. It bore the Baronet’s Badge, the Ulster Hand which shows that Sir Thos. Mx did not obtain his baronetcy until 1730. Over the shield was a crest, a tiger passant, holding in his paw a cross Moline, and underneath on a scroll, the motto “Stat Fortuna Domus Virtue.”

Thomas lived in the house until his death in 1733 when he left it to his widow, Catherine. On the death of Lady Mx her son Daniel inherited the estates and house in Peter Street. Daniel died in 1738 unmarried and was succeeded by his brother Capel, 3rd Baronet. Married with a wife, 2 sons and 2 daughters he moved to Merrion Square and let the Peter Street mansion to a Mr. William Lane. The next tenant, Philip Astley, an equestrian, built an amphitheatre at the rear for his performances. This famous theatre was opened 13th January 1789. Entrance to Pit and Gallery was in Bride Street and to the Boxes through the house itself by the entrance door in Peter Street. The interior of the house was noted for its fine staircase and carved banisters, and wainscoted walls. It was a spacious building with a broad staircase leading from the hall up to the drawing room floor. On this floor there were 5 rooms, 2 of them very long, one used for the wardrobe of the theatre. The large drawing room walls were covered with rare old tapestries and off this room was a small bedroom. On the ground floor 2 large rooms opened off the hall. A large dining room served as a coffee room for theatre goers. The basement, reached by a wide flight of stone stairs, had its room for the musicians. In 1809 Astley sold the properties to Henry Erskine Johnstone who made some changes and opened it on 1st Nov. 1809 as “The Royal Hibernian Theatre.” By 1812 the Peter Street building and grounds were leased to a Committee of gentlemen by Sir Capel Mx for a Blind Institution to accommodate blind females. They remained there until 1862 when the whole establishment was moved out of the city to Upper Leeson Street. A school for male blind inmates who made baskets was moved to Peter Street in 1864. The old amphitheatre became a Chapel for the Molyneux Asylum,, known as the Albert Chapel. (It was under the patronage of the Duchess of Kent, Queen Victoria’s mother, and Albert was Queen Victoria’s consort). Afterwards it was known as the Old Molyneux church, or the Blind Church. The last tenant on the Peter Street premises was the Salvation Army, they converted it into a night refuse for poor men.

In 1941, Jacob & Co., the biscuit makers bought both house and chapel, but demolished the house 2 years later. The Albert Chapel was de-consecrated and converted into a recreation hall for Jacob’s staff. In 1971 the old chapel was bought by Stephenson Gibney, Architects, who refurbished it at great cost. Later the re-building of a new Molyneux House facade, by Sam Stephenson, has been described as “Neo-Brutalism.” Standing in a Designated Area for tax benefits, near to the city centre, it is a 4 story office building designed within the sub-structure of the old chapel.


This is what the Molyneux House looks like today which replaced the old one.

Well folks that is all for this Newsletter. I hope by now our older members have had their vaccine and that this terrible pandemic will soon be far behind us.

All good wishes, and please members do send family information to me to include in these newsletters even though they are all on line now.